Wednesday, March 14, 2012

From January 30


Dear Family,
 
Where to start!? This week went really well, really busy but really well...I think really busy is just the norm now. I can't remember what it feels like not to be stressed and have a million things to do. This next week is going to be Zone Conferences tomorrow through Thursday and then Friday is a mini-mission for the Downey Stake that we haven't even begun to prepare for. Like I said, a million things to do, but I am loving every second of it.
 
In some ways it seems like an eternity since I last Emailed all of you and in some ways it feels like just yesterday. I can't really describe the way that time works as a missionary, but it is odd to say the least.
 
Monday was our final day to catch up from transfers making sure that the board was updated and everything was current for the senior couples so that they could do their work. When transfers hit like the bomb that it is, it is our job to make sure that everyone gets stuff that is up to date so that their work day isn't brought to a screeching halt until they have what they need. It kind of skews the large priority list that we have been juggling because lists and updates end up taking priority over something of a lot more value just because it is vital if the seniors are going to be able to function.
 
To answer your question about senior missionaries, a lot of our work is inter-related. We help them with a lot of things and they help us with a lot of things. Part of the pattern switch that I described last week had to do with shifting a lot of tasks that we had been doing to the senior couples so that we could do more proselyting...or at least that was the hope. Lately it has been working out more and more, they just have a lot of questions on the processes of things which is fine and expected when any kind of transition like that is made.
 
I am so grateful for them and all that they do for us and the other missionaries. They are the behind-the- scenes workers that get little acknowledgement, but the work could not go forward without them. Elder O. especially is such a good guy, and such a good example to me and to all of us. Sometimes when he can tell we are getting really stressed, he pulls root beer out of I don't know where and says "Elders you need to sit down and have a beer." We then all three just stop and sit and take a few minutes to enjoy a root beer and breathe. He is the coolest. He always tells us stories from his ranch in Utah and gives us life advice on stuff to do with our boys and stuff not to do and what his dad did. Great guy. Elder W. is just funny...There is not time to Email all that I would like to about that man so I will leave it at that, but he is a funny guy. We mess with him quite a bit, but he throws it right back, all in good fun.
 
So Monday we finished getting updated and prepping for ZLC, and then Tuesday we actually had ZLC and it went pretty well. We rolled out the training that the Zone Leaders will be giving at Zone Conference and reviewed some stuff from pervious ZLCs. The focus of Zone Conference is mostly reinforcing what we have been working on, namely lesson plans and the mobile area book. It will be good, I hope.
 
As far as the rest of the week, it has been quite the blur. Days run together, and I don't stop thinking about all I have to do and get done. Even when I go to sleep at night I am thinking about it and dream about office work and training and trying to keep our area afloat and all that jazz. Is that what they mean when they say lose yourself in the work? I don't even feel like I have a self anymore, it is just whatever I need to do next.
 
We have had a little more time to work in the area and spent a good portion of it contacting members of the ward which has been really good. The work in Santa Monica will be different than any work I have done thus far. It will be a lot of referral work and working with the members which is good on the one hand, and bad on the other. In my Spanish areas I would be able to control how many people I would find and teach because I could go knocking and street contacting and find legit people, here it seems almost out of our hands.
 
Tracting is not effective in beach communities so we are completely at the mercy of the desire of the members to share the gospel with their friends. It is good though, because like I said last week the ward is way solid. Bishop is so awesome and all about missionary work and very good even though he has only been bishop for about 4 months, and Brother W. is the best ward mission leader I have ever seen. We sat down at correlation yesterday after church and I felt like I was in one of the District DVDs about how everything is supposed to work. He had a chart with the 555 listed out, the recent converts and their statuses, and people we should try to reactivate as well as part member families that have a lot of potential. He is so great, I really look up to him, too.
 
My mission has really given me a lot of people to look up to. A lot of people that Heavenly Father has placed in my path to help me grow and learn as much as I possibly can while I am here, and for that I am so grateful. We have some really terrific members in our ward. I am glad to be where I am.
 
Something that I have learned this week is the importance at taking things a little at a time. Line upon line, precept upon precept. That is what our Zone Conference training is about, actually...well kinda...I will have to give you the lowdown on that next week. Joseph Smith didn't get the sealing power in the Sacred Grove...not even when he got the Aaronic priesthood; rather it came gradually bit by bit until he was ready to receive the greatest power God had to give.
 
May all of us strive to be patient with the Lord and patient with ourselves as we wait for the greatest blessings to come. Each day is to prepare us for the next and each day is a chance to grow and be better than the day before.
 
I love you guys!
 
Love
Elder Molinaro

No comments:

Post a Comment